Did you know that 90% of your serotonin is produced in your gut?
That's right 90% of the feel good hormone is produced in our gut.
We have long understood on some level that our mood is affected by what we eat, but I'm not sure we truly understand the depth of the issue like Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine has understood for centuries.
There is a direct and complex relationship between our body's reaction to stress, our digestion, and our emotional well-being.
So what's the easiest thing you can do to lower your stress levels, improve your digestion and feel better? Sleep.
10 Things You Should Know About Stress, Digestion, and Sleep.
1. Your sleep cycle is essential to the rest and recovery of internal organs.
2. Tissue repair, muscle growth, and protein synthesis primarily occur during sleep.
3. Hormones that help regulate appetite control, stress, growth & metabolism are released while sleeping.
4. Memory consolidation occurs, which is essential for learning new information.
5. Better quality sleep gives your increased energy to make beneficial lifestyle choices.
6. Strengthens your immune system and therefore decreases your risk of chronic disease.
7. Improves your focus and creativity during the day.
8. Improves your mood by reducing anxiety, irritability, and mental exhaustion.
9. Increases your libido.
10. Sleep deprivation makes it more likely you will gain weight over time.
So let's keep all this in mind coming into the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, sleep is your best tool to boost immunity, stay sane and restore your lust for life.